Friday, March 16, 2012

Flashback Friday

With March Madness in full swing, you'll be hard pressed to find someone who isn't talking about the basketball games going on right now.  As a few minutes ago, my beloved North Carolina Tar Heels won and advanced to the next round of the NCAA tournament. You probably don't know this but ever since I was old enough to go to college, I wanted to be a Tar Heel.

I loved the Tar Heels, mainly their awesome walk-on-water coach Dean Smith.  It was my big dream to be able to go to college at UNC Chapel Hill so I could proudly say I was a Tar Heel.  But life and my parents' checking account kinda got in the way.  There was no way in the world that Mom and Dad could afford for me to go to UNC for college, and even though I had gotten a partial scholarship, they still wouldn't have been able to make it happen.  So I went to college here in Louisville instead.  I don't regret any of it. My parents were far from rich, and were able to send me to a good local college with their factory-worker's salary, and for that I am eternally grateful, and am proud to say that made me the person I am today. At the time and still today, the only regret that I have is for friends whose parents could have afforded for them to go to any college in the country and they passed up the chance.  It's just like my Grandpa Cliff said, and I quote: "The only things in life you should regret are the things you didn't do."

No comments: