Monday, March 26, 2012

Rant and Rave Monday

Even though this is my blog and I can talk about whatever I want to any day of the week, you know after the past eight (yes, almost eight) years of blogging that I seldom rant and rave and complain in TWIT.  And you also know that I don't make too many comments in TWIT about my company or my job.  Well, today, that changes.  

It was well into the afternoon today - after 2:00 - when I found out that a coworker upstairs in Customer Support was having brain surgery today.  In fact, she was actually in the operating room undergoing the surgery when we found out.  It wasn't just me - I don't think anyone else knew that this woman was having brain surgery to remove a tumor.  Yet if there had been some scandalous or even near-scandalous gossip about her, we sure would have heard it within minutes of when it was spoken.  When something that we need to know so those of us that pray can pray about, we never find out.  I know that's not something that you publish on the front page of the newspaper, but her coworkers or HR should have let people know so they could have been praying or for those that don't pray, they could have been sending well wishes.  And if that wasn't bad enough, honestly minutes before we found out our coworker was having brain surgery, we found out that her boss was off for a few weeks because she had gall bladder surgery.  Once again, if there'd been some gossip about her, we would have heard it instantaneously. 

It just riles me up. I'll say this publicly: communication has always been a major fault at my company. When we need to know something, we never find out.  Yet when there's leftovers in the lunchroom after a lunch meeting we all know about it as soon as the food is laid down on a lunchroom table, or when someone is selling NASCAR or ballgame tickets, our inboxes are bombarded with emails.  What's wrong with this picture?

No comments: