Sunday, February 20, 2011

Here's A Tip

I stopped at a local restaurant yesteday afternoon to get supper for the 'Rents, and chose this particular restaurant because I knew a friend would be working there as a server in the afternoon. The restaurant was fairly busy for early Saturday afternoon, but my friend and I managed to squeeze in a conversation in between her trips to check on her tables. During the conversation she pointed out a table with a ten people. She said that their came to $120, and that they would probably only tip her $4 or $5. At first I thought she was joking but then she went on to explain how that table was what they call "high maintenance" - wanting extra this, extra that, more of of this, more of that, etc. You get the picture. She said that high maintenance people like that never tip well. You'd think it would be the opposite

We talked some more until my food was ready, and when she handed me the bill, I noticed that she had used her employee discount of 50%. I felt very generous, and tipped her a healthy 20% of what the bill would have been before her discount, plus a little more to make up for what I was sure the high maintenance people would not tip her. I had no sooner gotten home when I got a text from her saying that the table in deed tipped her a five dollar bill. She sure called that one.

No comments: