Friday, February 4, 2011

Flashback Friday

Hearing about all of the snow days that the school kids have had this winter reminded me of the snow days that we had when I was a kid. They were extra special to me. When we had a snow day, Grandma would let me sleep in, and when I finally got up, I would get all bundled up and walk down to the Greenwood Market and buy Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee frozen pizzas. Once home, Grandma would have a little glass dessert bowl full of thinly sliced onion and green pepper to doctor up the frozen pizzas. Our neighbor Alice would get bundled up and trudge down to the house and she would have pizza with us. This was our snow day ritual.

Back in the day, Chef Boyardee frozen pizzas were the only frozen pizzas - there was no Tony's, Totino's, nor Red Baron. The pepparoni was my favorite - the pepparoni was diced into tiny little cubes, and they didn't skimp on the portions, like the frozen pizza makers do today. Chef Boyardee frozen pizzas have long since gone, but they still make the make-it-yourself pizza kits.

No comments: