Thursday, July 5, 2007

Thank Goodness For The Ice Cream

We had supper a bit earlier than normal tonight, and after we'd eaten, Dad started tearing into a piece of apple pie that Mom made yesterday.  Not being a big apple dessert fan, I decided I wanted ice cream; Mint Moose Tracks ice cream to be exact.  I ran out to the garage and opened the freezer and began the search for the pint carton.  I found it and when I picked it up, imagine my surprise when I could feel something sloshing around in the carton.  I glanced up to see water dripping off of the shelves on the freezer door.  I'm not going to print what I said, just in case there might be young, impressionable children reading TWIT.  I saw a bag of hot dogs inside the freezer and touched them.  Yep, thawed out.  I did a quick random search and found out that most of the items thawed out were on the freezer door, thank goodness.  I closed the door, making sure it had fully shut, and ran back in the house to sound the alarm.  I won't print what Mom said, either. 

She ran out to the freezer, and started picking up everything in the freezer to check for more thawed items.  Thank goodness, most was still frozen.  The only things we lost were a box of frozen shrimp and half a box of Boca burgers.  There were a few pieces of thawed meat that she brought in and cooked and will freeze for later, so all in all we were extremely lucky.  We found out the cause of the thaw was a small cooler bag that was on top of the freezer.  The carrying strap was hanging down and was caught in the door, giving just enough space for the heat to get in and thaw.  Dad grabbed the cooler bag and hung it on the wall, far away from the freezer.  I'm just thankful I wanted ice cream tonight for dessert, or else we would have had one gooey mess on our hands. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, good thing you did have a craving for ice cream!