Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Farewell, Cesar Ivan

                                         

The city of Louisville is very saddened to say farewell to Cesar Ivan Auguilar-Cano.  The 4 year-old boy's body was found inside a garbage bag in the back of a garbage truck this past Saturday morning, a little over a week after he apparentley wandered from his home by Churchill Downs. 

On the afternoon of June 29, Cesar had been watching cartoons in the family's apartment and then wandered outside while his mother was making supper.  She said it wasn't unusual for Cesar to play outside by himself - something he did in their original home in Guatamala.  But this time, he either wandered off or was abducted.

The search for Cesar brought together hundreds and hundreds of law enforcement officers, Churchill Downs workers and plain old concerned Louisvillians.  For over a week people were combing the areas, hoping and praying to find little Cesar.  Churches all across the city and county had prayer services for Cesar, and America's Most Wanted even had a story about him.  But everyone's worst fear came true Saturday morning when sanitation workers found a young boy's body in the back of a garbage truck. Yesterday afternoon, the coroner positively identified the body through dental records, and the police officially called this heinous crime a homicide.  Cesar's father called his murderer a monster, and I have to agree. 

All weekend long, people in the city were already in mourning for Cesar.  Strangers would talk to each other about him, expressing their sadness and grief for the loss of his life, and then express their anger over the monster that murdered him.  An example of this was at the Bats baseball game Saturday night.  People in my section of seats were too busy dabbing our eyes with Kleenax because we were weepy over the news.  And later on that night while at the grocery store, I overheard 3 other shoppers talking about it while waiting in line.  In my 43 years as a Louisvillian, I can't remember anything else making the city grieve like the murder of Cesar Ivan.  

Rest in peace, little one - you're safe now. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The day the city cried........I hope his family and the community will heal from this terrible tragedy!  People are just so sick these days.  How anyone would want to harm another person is beyond me, but to do it to a child is even worse -- if there is a worse.  I am so sorry!

Anonymous said...

My daughter has a little friend who lives only a couple of blocks from where Cesar was murdered.  She has played there many times.  It makes my stomach turn.

My heart goes out to Cesar's parents and family.

Anonymous said...

I live so far away from where Ivan lived, about 1200 miles.  I heard about him going missing very early on and have watched your local news several times a day.  I was devastated when they found him.  How dare anyone do that to that precious angel face!  I agree, a sick monster did this!  I watch all the news stories about it.  I watched them carry out his little white casket after the funeral.  I am broken.  How do I heal?  No one here knows much about Ivan unless I tell them.
I am so filled with grief for this child I never had the pleasure of meeting.  I am so filled with pain.  How dare this monster!  I am angry.  I can not imagine how his family, friends, and community feel if I feel this bad!

The only thing that keeps me sane is knowing, like you said, he is safe now.

Rest in Peace Precious Ivan you are with Jesus now.