Saturday, July 21, 2007

CSI: Iroquois Park

I never know what the weekend will bring in my life.  During the week, everything is pretty much scheduled - work during the day, various VFW activities on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and running errands or taking care of other business the other evenings.  But the weekends are pretty much the same.  I usually have something planned every Saturday evening - whether it's a Bats baseball game or going out, and Sundays are always booked up with church in the morning, and my weekly visit to Diva Stacy's in the afternoon.  But the weekends are when something totally unexpected happens that I have to alter my schedule to adapt.  Case in point: tonight. 

I spent the morning and afternoon doing absolutely nothing (which was just what I planned to do) and then late afternoon Diva Stacy and I went to a pool party given by one of her co-workers.  After the party, I visited a friend from school to pick up some DVD's.  A couple other School Friends were coming over, and they'd planned to go out later, but I was just coming by to get my DVD's and head back home.  Wrong.  I pulled in my friend's driveway and walked up to the house.  As I walked past her Grand Cherokee, something caught my eye.  I walked back and was shocked to find the back driver's side window out.  At first, it looked like when the tint film has peeled off of a cheap tinted window job.  But as soon as I got closer, I could see it was in deed a hole.  The entire window had been shattered, leaving a grapefruit-sized hole.  I went in the house, and as calmly as I could, I asked my friend "When was the last time you were in your Jeep?"  She said "Last night. Why?" Then I had to drop the bomb.  She proceeded to drop the F bomb when I told her her window was out. 

We ran back outside, and then things suddenly turned into an episode of CSI: Iroquois Park.  I started questioning the victim, asking if she was sure she didn't go out in the Jeep today.  Redundant, I know, but I had to ask.  After securing the crime scene, I then started to look for evidence and clues.  It was very weird - there was no glass inside of the SUV.  The broken glass was about 3 feet from the broken window, all in a small spot on the gravel driveway - not spread out as if it blew out.  Very bizarre.  At first, I thought that the window shattered as a result of the pressure built up inside from the mid-90's temperatures we had this week. But upon further investigation, I saw that both passenger windows were down about a quarter of an inch to let air in/out.  As my friend started taping up the window, I continued my investigation and looked inside of the Jeep.  No clues.  After careful consideration, I believe that someone (most likely a friend, or even more likely an enemy, of her landlord's son) put their fist through the window, and when they drew their fist out, it caused the glass to bow outward.  The glass would have been around their fist, and they could have shaken it off onto the gravel. 

My friend called her landlord, who was across town visiting his girlfriend, and he said when he got home tonight he would look at the tapes from the surveillance cameras he has set up around the house. Then we'll know if Detective Puddin was right.  You can count on me to keep you posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a painful way to release one's anger if that is what happened.  Please keep us updated!