Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Sorry About Your Luck, Samsonite

As I mentioned yesterday, some friends from church are on the road right now heading to Colorado for three weeks.  I don't envy the drive there, but I would love to visit Colorado one day.  And when I do visit Colorado, you can best bet that I will be flying there.  Our friends will be gone for over three weeks, and long trips like that require lots of clothes.  And lots of clothes mean lots of packing.  You can imagine the amount of clothes our friends will have for four adults for three weeks.  Sure, they can probably do laundry along the way, but that's beside the point. 

This Sunday at church, our friends told us something that was very interesting.  When they go on a vacation roadtrip, be it for a few days or a month, they don't take suitcases - they keep their clothes in the trunk of their car.  Literally.  They roll up a set of clothes - pants, shirt, socks, and underwear - and just stack the rolls in the trunk of their car.  They said it's much easier than dragging suitcases inside to the motel every night while they're on the road.  When they stop, all they have to carry in is one small bag with their pajamas and toiletries, and a roll of clothes. 

They said they've gotten some flack over this - for instance, people will say "Can't you afford a suitcase?"  I'm sure their reply would be nicer than mine.  I'd be quick to say "Why do you care if I can or can't afford a suitcase?"  Even though it's a bit out of the ordinary, this system seems to work for them, and I guess that's all that matters. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL, the first thought that came to mind about the people asking them about no suitcases...."This car is our home, and this trunk is my closet."