Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Miss Popularity

I mentioned a few weeks ago about a sudden surge in my popularity.  It seems that more and more people were searching for me at one of the popular school reunion websites.  Faithful readers, I've discovered that I'm even more popular than I ever imagined I could be.  Every day for the past month, I've received at least two or three invitation emails saying that someone wants to add me to their "Facebook."  I sure wasn't this popular in my teenage years in high school.  In fact, I was pretty much a nobody in school.  I didn't hang out with the popular crowds - I just hung out with the other nobodies.  But I'm sure making up for it in my forties. 

Yesterday, Tonia Fritz wanted me to be added to her Facebook.  Now, I'm very good with not forgetting a name or face, and to the best of my knowledge I've never known anyone named Tonia Fritz.  I've never even known any Tonias nor Fritzs for that matter.  In fact, I've only known one Tonya, and she is in our accounting department.  My curiosity got the best of me, and I visited the Facebook website.  The big bold headline said  "Facebook is a social utility that connects you with the people around you."  When I read that, that was as far as I looked in the site.  Apparently, it's a MySpace wannabe, and I want no part of that.  So if you're reading this Tonia Fritz, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to decline your invitation to join your Facebook.  Good luck finding another friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL,  you are so right.  I got snookered into joining reunion.com because it said quite a few were looking for me.  Turns out I never heard of any of these people.  Marketing ploys, gotta love them.

Anonymous said...

Facebook is HUGE with the 20 something's.  I'm pretty sure you have to be attending a college or university to start an account (it was started for the college community), then you can invite others to join.  The young management interns at work live and breathe it, especially when there's drama in their life.  They want to see who has signed their "wall" and who's doing what.  I think it's more like "my space" grows up and goes on to the next level.