Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Knock Back

This morning before I went to work, I discovered a new way that that the Good Lord deals with us - the "knock back", if you will. It's knock back, as in, He hits us with something that literally knocks us back. I have a feeling that "Knock Back" might become a recurring post here in TWIT. But I digress.

I was getting ready for work this morning, and took a minute to read the local Southwest Jefferson County section of the morning newspaper. The theme today was saluting a various and diverse selection of volunteers; one of whom I knew. The paper did a very lengthy article on Jim - a gentleman who is in his early 50's and has been blind since birth. But the article didn't dwell on the hardships that this man has faced dealing with this handicap; the article was about all of the volunteering that Jim did. I have to tell you that I was blown away.

I had the pleasure and honor of knowing Jim and his parents, Mary and Doc. They went to church with us back in the day. They were very sweet and awesome people, and they deserve major props for raising two equally awesome sons, Jim and Rocky. One of the most vivid memories of Jim's Dad Doc was the day after my Grandpa died. It was mid-morning, and the doorbell rang, and it was Doc - he was standing there with a bag full of groceries - eggs, milk, bread, bacon, etc - the essentials. He thought enough of our family to bring that over to our house. I guess that's where Jim got his sense of compassion and kindness.

Today's newspaper article told of all of the volunteering that Jim does today; he's already retired from his paying job. Yet the article talked about all of the volunteering that he is doing now that he's retired. And if most people had read about Jim, they would have felt sorry for him and totally forgot that the emphasis is on what this guy - a blind man - is doing in his town. That's what made me do an about-face. Most people would be focussing on this guy who is blind yet the article in the newspaper focussed on all that this guy does in his volunteering. Needless to say, I was knocked back a few steps.

No comments: