Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Shhhhhhh

I took a vacation day today so I could get a jump start on my research paper, and was at our local library branch when they opened at 9:00. It was so peaceful - I was able to get quite a bit of work done on my paper in the peace and quiet. That is, until about noon when all of the kids started showing up en masse. It went from quiet to a zoo in less than five minutes. I sat there at the table shaking my head as kids were running all over the library yelling. But the kids weren't the only ones yelling - their parents were yelling , too. I'm assuming that parents and teachers today don't teach kids that you're supposed to be quiet in a library. There was no use trying to study in the middle of a three ring circus so I packed up my messenger bag and headed on back to The Compound. All the way home, I kept shaking my head in disbelief at how parents and teachers haven't taught kids how to act in a library. Grandma would have worn my behind out with a flyswatter if I acted like those kids did in the library. And I would have deserved, too. But then again, their parents were yelling and laughing loud in there, too, so what do you expect.

On an unrelated note, as I said earlier, I arrived at the library just a few minutes after they opened at 9:00. On my way back to a table, I passed by two rows of computers, with about a dozen people sitting at them. Hand to heaven, four of those people all had Farmtown up on the monitors. There's just no getting away from it. As my dear friend Big Mama said, it's like hard drugs.

No comments: