Monday, April 27, 2009

Special Request Monday

Faithful Reader Lynne contacted me over the weekend and asked if I would do some research and see if I can find out more information about the rules concerning socks in our public schools. I'm always happy to do all I can for you, my faithful readers, so here's what I found out.

After conducting an informal survey, I discovered that the sock rule is in place only at the Traditional Schools, as part of their dress code. Next, I visited the Jefferson County Traditional School website to check out the dress code. Here's what I found out (and I quote): Colors must be solid white, navy blue, black, brown or beige. (Underlined and in bold print) socks must be visible above the shoe and anklebone.

There were no explanations -- just those two sentences. I did some more research and found that a student in a middle school in California was suspended because she wore a pair of Winnie The Pooh socks to school. Of course, the ACLU got involved and filed a lawsuit on the grounds that it was unconstitutional.

I could not find an explanation nor reason for a strict dress code about socks, but I'm going to stick with my original reason that different length socks could be some kind of gang colors.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Aww thanks for looking it up for me! I almost hate watching the news anymore around here. Gangs are more prevalent in VA.