Friday, April 24, 2009

Flashback Friday



I stopped at our 'hood Wal-Mart this a.m. on the way to work to pick up a gallon of milk for my co-worker's and my daily bowl of Cheerios. It was on sale, I might add. But I digress. After having to walk to the farthest check out lane, I was waiting in line when I witnessed a quasi-epiphany. The cashier was talking to a co-worker who had asked her for someone's phone number. Immediately, the cashier whipped out her cell phone and proceded to look up the number in her address book. As I was standing there, it dawned on me that the old school address book is a thing of the past.
Back in the day, you'd hear people joke about having someone's number in their "little black book", or in my case, it was a little red book. And no surprise to those that know me well - I still have that little red book today, tucked safely away in The Archives down in the basement. Anyhoo, back in the day us gals carried a little phone book in our purses. If you asked a young woman today if she had a small phone book in her purse, she'd look at you like you had three heads.
I conducted an informal survey at work today, and of the 8 people that I talked with, only two still use an actual hard-copy phone book -- yours truly and my faithful reader and co-worker SH. She and I still keep the phone number and address section of our Executive Planners updated with current phone numbers and addresses of friends. But the others sadly said nsaid no, to my dismay - they only have the phone numbers saved on their cell phones.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

I am terribly behind technically speaking. I have a cell phone which would hold phone, cell and email addresses. However, I still have a "black book" with all the same info, and actual mailing addresses. It gets pulled out and used once a year for Christmas cards.