Thursday, April 23, 2009

Are My Ankles Too Distracting?

The other day, I wore a new pair of khaki pants and a red golf shirt to work. My friend and co-worker SH and I joked about how I was dressed like the school kids with their uniforms. While we were joking about my outfit, SH made a comment that truly floored me. She said something about my socks, and how the school kids have to wear socks that come above their ankles. Based on that comment alone this journal entry could have easily been titled "File Under: WTF?". I thought about this for a day or two and this afternoon I asked her to please explain this odd rule.

She said that the kids can't wear any of the "no-show" socks that you can't see when wearing shoes, and that the socks have to come above their ankles. It blew me away. We discussed this at great length, and my first question was for someone to please give me a sensible reason why the kids' socks have to come above their ankles. A co-worker said it has to do with gangs and colors and such. Now, I'm not around too many gang members, but I can't really believe that wearing no-show socks would be a gang symbol. Maybe I'm naive, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

I've never heard that one either, but I imagine they might try to get more creative since everyone is onto them with regard to tattoos or bandannas. The latter is prohibited to be worn in our schools. It is sad that some gangs actually stretch from CA all the way to the East coast. It is becoming a problem worth attention because of the destructive path it tends to leave in their wake. Your post begs some research on socks, lol. That is a new one on me!

Toots said...

Not a rule at our scool. Can't help you there.