Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Nashville Star - Week Seven

This week the contestants performed original songs. For the most part, I have to say they weren't very original.  Most of them would have blended in with top 40 country radio, which to some might not be a bad thing, but to me, I think the songs need to really stand out and be different.

Coffey - sang "Southern Man". I think he listened to David Allen Coe's "You Never Called Me By My Name" when he wrote this - he mentioned fishing, trucks, and cowboy hats.  Still using way too much vibrato; rapped instead of sang.  The words were country but it wasn't a country song.
Melissa Lawson - sang "Ready To Stand". Catchy tune; sang with confidence; made me feel the song; great vocals - stayed on pitch; sang with power and control. I would pay $1.99 to download this from iTunes.  Would work great on country radio.
Gabe Garcia - sang "Lost Weekend". Catchy tune; an identifiable and believable song; would be awesome on country radio; great vocals and great lyrics; sang with confidence.  Great stage performance.  I would also pay $1.99 to download this from iTunes.
Ashlee Hewitt - sang "Mike's Hard Lemonade". Still sounds like Taylor Swift. My ears shut down after the first verse; couldn't understand some of the words - enunciated a bit too much; the yodeling was pitiful.
Shawn Meyer - sang "I'm Not Looking Back".  Vocals were too breathy; the lyrics were too cliche.  Major pitch problems and not very clear enunciation; sounded like practically every other song you hear on country radio; the song just didn't stand out.

Ashlee Hewitt and Shawn Meyer were in the bottom two this week, and as much as I was hoping they'd get rid of both of them tonight, only one,  Ashlee Hewitt got the boot. 

This week's Performance That Made My Ear Bleed was not from the five contestants, but from judge Jewel.  After hearing the first few lines from "You Were Meant For Me" I hit the mute button on the remote until she was finished singing. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I totally agree with your assessment of this show ... Jewel was HORRID and I've been looking all over for a place to download Melissa Lawson's song, I'd pay for it right this second if I could find it.

Random drive by posting. :)

...raylene