Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Nashville Star - Week Eight

Shawn Mayer - sang "Here For The Party" by Gretchen Wilson. I've not been a Shawn Mayer fan since the very first week but this was her best performance of the season; good crowd interaction; good band interaction; made the song her own; sang an upbeat song and didn't cry for once; good stage presence tonight.
Gabe Garcia - sang "Five O'Clock Somewhere" by Alan Jackson. Looked more comfortable and at ease on stage; made the song his own; played to the audience; most consistent of all the contestants.
Coffey - sang "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynard Skynard. Still too much vibrato; got the crowd into it even though it reminded me of a karaoke performance; still had too many gimmicks.
Melissa Lawson - sang "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by Pat Benetar.  Great version and arrangement; sang with power but didn't scream it out; made the song her own; got the crowd into it.

The voting results were revealed and Coffey got the boot tonight.  I have to admit I didn't like Ashley Hewitt but Coffey should have gotten the boot long before she did. I wondered how he and others even made it to the show. 

The three finalists performed one last time, and next week we'll find out who is the next Nashville Star.

Shawn Mayer - sang "The Dance" by Garth Brooks. Voice was shakey; had trouble with key modulation; scooped and slurred too much; sang too soft.  Was disappointed after the great performance earlier, but at least she didn't cry.
Melissa Lawson - sang "Jesus Take The Wheel" by Carrie Underwood. Sang with power but didn't scream; nailed the high power notes. Great version of the song - didn't try to sound like Carrie Underwood.
Gabe Garcia - sang "Living If Fast Forward" by Kenney Chesney.  Had some minor pitch problems; voice was smoothe; sang to the audience again and got them involved.
 
My prediction: the next Nashville Star will probably be Gabe Garcia, but I hope it will be Melissa Lawson. 

In keeping with tradition, I have to report my pick for The Song That Made My Ears Bleed.  This week's award goes to Shawn Mayer for her rendition of Garth Brooks "The Dance."  I never liked the song anyway, so that was one strike against it from the start.  I just don't like when the singers (mainly the female singers) scoop and slur and drag out one or two notes to half a dozen. 

No comments: