Friday, July 4, 2008

Flashback Friday

About a month ago, I bought a digital converter box for the TV in my bedroom; I don't have cable back there and decided to go ahead and get the box or else I would procrastinate and it would be February 17 and I wouldn't have my box yet.  But I digress.  It's like having a new TV - and I get a better picture on NBC now then on our TVs that are connected to cable.  Since I can get NBC now, I've been hooked on their reality shows - Nashville Star, America's Got Talent, and my current favorite, Celebrity Circus.  As I've been watching super model Rachel Hunter and others perform circus acts every week, it's reminded me of another awesome show, "Circus Of The Stars."

There were 19 exciting and entertaining episodes of "Circus Of The Stars", and it ran from 1977 till 1994.  In case you have no idea what I'm talking about, the show featured celebrities doing various circus acts - the trapeze, high wire, clown acts, animal acts, and you could always count on at least one death-defying stunt.  My favorite act was when the celebrities would swing on the trapeze. Of course they had a net down below, but it was still exciting because they were swinging without a safety harness (like they use on today's "Celebrity Circus").  One of my favorite 70's TV actresses Cathy Lee Crosby appeared on over half dozen "Circus Of The Stars" shows and each time she was on the trapeze.  Other favorite acts were when Loni Anderson walked on broken glass and actually cut her ankle and was bleeding all over the place while the ringmaster (usually John Davidson) was whispering to the camera about how brave she was. 

Another regular feature on "Circus Of The Stars" was the celebrity clown.  Each episode, they would have a celebrity dressed up as a clown.  They would show the clown before each commercial break, and the announcer would give clues so you could try and figure out who the clown was.  I remember one time it was Dick Clark, who was dressed as a female clown with a big butt and lots of cleavage. 

No comments: