Friday, July 25, 2008

Flashback Friday

Tomorrow is a very important day in my life - it's my Life Day.  It's the anniversary of my wreck that happened back on July 26, 1992.  I celebrate and call it Life Day because the Lord truly was my co-pilot that night and I survived.  But as I've been thinking about Life Day, I was reminiscing about the interesting turn of events that happened the night before my crash - 16 years ago tonight. 

It was a Friday, just like today.  We were having an unusual cool spell, much like the past couple of days.  The most interesting thing about the night before my wreck was the fact that I did something that night that I'd never done before: I went out dancing.  Some good friends took me to a country bar and dance club that was about a mile or so from home, and I danced almost every song.  The following night while those friends and my parents were with me in the emergency room and later on in my hospital room, they even joked about how they didn't think I sat down the entire time we were there.  Little did I know that night that in less than twenty-four hours my life would change.  At the club, we ran into Nacho, our favorite waiter who worked at one of the local Mexican restaurants.  He was there dancing with some friends, too.  My friends called the restaurant and told him about my wreck, and I'll be darned if he didn't come to visit me in the hospital and bring me my usual #23 combination dinner and a bowl of guacamole. 

Other than one time at a wedding reception, I haven't danced since that night. It's not because I don't have rhythm - it's just because I don't really want to dance anymore.  I guess that was something I just wanted to do that night, and once I got it out of my system, I don't want to do it anymore.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll dance again sometime.  But till then, I'm just happy to be able to walk and enjoy my life. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it, Puddin'.  My life wouldn't be the same without you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are here with us.  You have brought joy to my life and a new acknowledgement to all those mullets. :-)