Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Why Do We Say That?

I'd like to introduce a new recurring feature in TWIT.  It's called "Why Do We Say That?"  Periodically, we'll discuss why we say certain things.  For example, why do we tell someone who's getting ready to perform "Break a leg"?  You'd think that would be the last thing you would wish somebody getting ready to go on stage and sing or dance or act.  You get the idea. 

By the way, I did some research and found a fairly reasonable explanation on the origin of "break a leg." The phrase dates back to the early days of theater, where there were actually wooden structures on the front of the stage called "legs."  If the show went well and was well received, an audience member would celebrate by grabbing one of these "legs" and breaking it.  When I enjoy a theatrical performance, I always make a point of destroying part of the stage on my way out of the theater.  Just kidding.

My co-worker, cubicle co-inhabitant and frequent guest writer in TWIT, Greg, is on vacation this week.  Friday after work he packed up the car and his family and hit the road for his parents' home in Missouri.  Before he left Friday afternoon, we all told him "have a safe trip."  Like we would tell him to have an unsafe, accident-filled trip?  I'd like to think we wouldn't even wish that on our worst enemy.  The same goes for another much used phrase "have a great time."   I guess it's quicker to say than "I hope the kids don't get on your nerves during the 9 hour drive to your folks and I hope you don't get a speeding ticket or have an accident."

I'll admit there's been times when I've wanted to tell someone I don't like "have a crappy time" when they're going on vacation.  But I bite my tongue instead.  We've all had times when someone who got on our nerves goes on vacation and we'd really like to tell them "Good riddance" or we want to break out singing "There will be peace in the valley" while they're gone.  But yet again, we bite our tongues because it just isn't fittin'.  To sum it up, I guess we say "have a safe trip" out of courtesy and decency. And because we don't want to appear like a total asshole.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAVE A GREAT DAY.........lol, sorry my wit just blows......doesn't it?