Monday, March 27, 2006

Farewell, Buck Owens

I am very sad to report that country music legend Buck Owens has died.  Owens passed away at his home in Bakersfield, California Saturday morning.  The 76 year-old Owens died from heart failure.  Owens had undergone surgery for throat cancer in 1993, and after recovering he went right back to performing.

During the peak of his career, Buck Owens had a string of more than 20 number one hit records, most released from the mid-1960's to the mid-1970's.  They were recorded with a honky-tonk twang that came to be known as the "Bakersfield Sound," named for the town 100 miles north of Los Angeles that Owens called home.  Among his hits were "Act Naturally", a song recorded by The Beatles, "Love's Gonna Live Here" and "I've Got A Tiger By The Tail." One of his biggest hits, and one of my favorite country songs of all time, was "Together Again," a song Owens wrote.  Emmylou Harris' version also went to number one. 

In addition to his songwriting and recording, Buck Owens is probably most well known for his stint as co-host of "Hee Haw."  Owens co-hosted from the show's start in 1969 to 1986. He helped make "Hee Haw" the longest running syndicated television show in the history of television.  He attributed the show's popularity to the fact that it was an "honest show."  He said "There's no social message - it's fun and simple."  I thought the coolest part of the show was when Buck would sing and play his red, white and blue guitar. 

The first record album that I remember ever playing was one of Dad's Buck Owens records.  Dad had three and I think I wore them all out, playing them over and over on my green and white plastic portable record player.  When we got a cool 8-track recorder, we made copies of those three albums so we would have a back-up in case I did wear them out.  I remember playing the record and singing along to "Love's Gonna Live Hear" while trying to have a twang in my voice like Buck.  It never quite happened, but I got a kick out of singing along with the record. 

When he was inducted into the Country Music Hall Of Fame in 1996, Buck Owens said "I'd like to be remembered as a guy that came along and did his music, did his best and showed up on time, clean and ready to do the job, wrote a few songs and had a hell of a time." That you did, Buck; that you did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

another sad one too, is Cindy Walker....she wrote a lot of country hits......and she wrote Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream) Roy Orbison sang this............
Mercy
~Barb

Anonymous said...

She also wrote this one for him......it's unreleased
Roy Orbison - Inseperable Lyrics

Cindy walker

The sand and the sea are inseperable
And nothing can take them apart
And that’s how you will be, forever with me
Inseperable from my heart

The powers that be are unchangeable
And somehow, somewhere are the stars
That can send you to me, and then you will be
Inseperable from my heart

Like the birds in flight
Drifting clouds of white
Shining stars at night
Are fulfilling their destiny
And so are we

For we are born to be inseperable
And nothing can take us apart
Like my heartbeat and me, you will always be
Inseparable from my heart
Inseperable from my heart