Saturday, March 4, 2006

Sorry, Rachel

It's been a great lazy, restful Saturday at The Compound.  After breakfast, we all crashed and read the paper while we watched our favorite shows on Food Network.  I was in the back bedroom on the computer while the 'rents were watching TV, and imagine my surprise when I heard my mother say "I'd like to smack her."  I jumped up from my chair and ran to the family room to see who would have been the brunt end of Mama's wrath.  It was none other than Rachel Ray.  Needless to say, I was shocked.  In my 43 years, I've never heard my mother say such a thing about anyone.  But after watching a few minutes of "30 Minute Meals With Rachel Ray" I can honestly say that I would have done more than smack her; it would have been more like "hit her upside her head with a skillet."

If you've never watched Rachel Ray and don't know what I'm talking about, take a few minutes to check out The Food Network and watch one of her many shows on there, and you'll quickly find out what I'm talking about.  After the first five minutes of any of her shows, you, too, will be wanting to smack her.  She's just too damned peppy, and she waves her hands around so much when she talks, that I'd like to handcuff her.

I'd watched her show before but today as I watched it, I paid more attention, and I agree with my mother. The woman deserves to be smacked.  She's just too damned happy and perky.  I dread when she has to saute or fry something, just because I know we'll be bombarded with her favorite phrase "EVOO" (extra virgin olive oil).   I did some quick reseach, and found that there are tons of websites devoted to hating Rachel Ray.  While my Mom and I won't go so far as to say we actually hate her, we will on on record as saying she gets on our nerves bigtime. 

There's been annoying characters and people on TV and movies over the years, but Rachel Ray is the first one I've ever heard my sweet, do-anything-for-anybody mother say she'd like to smack.  It's not an easy task, either - to get on my mother's bad side.  Even with the shenanigans I've pulled over the years, I've never heard her say toward me "I'd like to smack you."  To quote Martha Stewart, that's a good thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come now, Puddin.  I can't believe your sweet mother would say that about Rachel Ray.  But I remember your Grandma saying that same thing about Naomi Judd, though.  If you want to smack her, Minnie, you go ahead.  I'll hold her down for you.

Anonymous said...

Must be a "mom" thing.  Mine doesn't care for RR either.