Saturday, December 10, 2005

Thelma And Louise, PRP-Style

With the root canal drama going on for a week and a half, and with the weather this week, I'd put off the unpleasant task of going to WalMart.  I kept saying "I'll go tomorrow."  Well, "tomorrow" finally came.  This morning after breakfast, Mom and I bundled up and made our way out on the frozen tundra, aka our driveway, and hopped in the Blazer and headed to WalMart.  I was thrilled when we found a parking spot on the end of the aisle, just a mere few feet from the door.  We got inside, and were surprised to find that for a Saturday morning just fourteen days from Christmas, it wan't crowded at all.  We found the items we needed, and then headed to the check-out lanes.  It didn't take us long to figure out that the reason the store wasn't crowded was because eveybody was standing in one of the three lines open to check-out.  There was nowhere else to go, so we picked the least full line and patiently waited, reading the soap opera magazines and the National Enquirer while we waited.

We had about a dozen items in our shopping cart, and being filled with the Christmas spirit Mom let a Woman With Only One Item get in front of us.  Before you jump to conclusions and call me Scrooge, let me say for the record I didn't have a problem with that.   I did, however, have a problem with the Group Of Young Women in front of the Woman With Only One Item.  During what seemed like an enternity waiting there to be checked out, that Group Of Young Women were as annoying and as rude as can be.  They had all of their items to purchase in one big pile on the check-out conveyor belt, and were evidently paying for them all together.  First one woman would get fed up with waiting and grab her stuff and get out of our line and go to another line to wait.  Then a few minutes later, she'd get fed up with that line and come back to our line. This went on for about ten minutes. I was ready to take their Dora the Explorer table and hit them with it.  Then Mom had an idea - no, wait, she said it was merely a "suggestion" - she said I should grab the CO2 BB pistol I was getting Dad and see if I could move the line along a bit.  For a minute, I considered it.  It was a pretty safe bet that there were no air marshalls nor SWAT team members in the store to shoot me.  But then she repeated "It was just a suggestion."  So I stayed in line with her, where I wouldn't get into trouble. 

Then it came time for the Group Of Young Women to pay for their stuff.  That's when it really got interesting.  The first one gave the cashier a credit card, which was quickly declined.  After arguing with the cashier, she dug in her purse and handed her another credit card, which was also declined.  A second woman gave a credit card to the cashier, and told her to only charge X amount of dollars on it, and then the third and fourth women did the same.  The first woman, who had been digging through her purse, gave the cashier some cash which added with the other credit card transactions, was enough to finally pay for their stuff.   Now you can see why I wanted to shoot them.

On a side note:  in keeping with the WalMart tradition, there was in deed a half dozen people huddled around the crane game when we came in and when we left.  Some things never change. 

No comments: