Saturday, December 3, 2005

It's Just Cheese And Coffee

I should have known better than to venture out to the store today.  I had a rough night last night with the tooth, and didn't sleep very well, so I don't need to tell you I was a bit on the cranky side today.  But I wanted to go up to the corner and check out a new store that just opened.  It's like Sam's but on a smaller scale.  They had great deals for their grand opening (35 pack of bottled water for only $3.99 - what a bargain) so I bundled up and headed up there.  The place was packed.  The parking lot next door to the store had a huge tent set up where they were giving away samples.  Needless to say it was packed, too. 

I found a shopping cart and made my way into the store. The first snag in the flow of traffic was just inside the door in the coffee aisle.  They had were giving away free cups of coffee.  There were a dozen people there, hovering around the coffee dispensers, getting their free shot glass-sized cup of coffee.  And they couldn't just get the coffee and go on down the aisle- they had to decide on which flavor of non-dairy creamer they wanted to use.  Even little kids were getting the free coffee.  As if having all of these shoppers buzzed on caffeine wasn't bad enough, they were too honery to even throw the cups away - just about every shelf in the store had a couple of the empty or half-empty coffee cups on them.  Sad, just sad.

I found the items I wanted and then attempted to head to the cashiers to check out.  To get there, I had to go through the dairy products aisle.  Big mistake.  BIG mistake.  There were probably twenty people huddled around the dairy case looking at the cheese.  Yes, cheese.  Not fancy cheese, like brie or gouda or anything like that; just ordinary colby or pepperjack cheese.  You would have thought these people had never seen cheese before.  As I said, it wasn't fancy - it was your ordinary cheese, in either brick or small cube form.  If I'd reached into the shelf, I think someone would have taken my arm off. 

The check-out lanes weren't too bad; I guess that's because everybody else was either getting coffee or cheese.  I sure hate to be those people tomorrow morning.  Or even worse, people that live with those people who are trying to get to the bathroom.

No comments: