Friday, December 23, 2005

Let's Hear It For The Flannel

Disclaimer: If anyone is offended by the following journal entry, I apologize. But this is my journal, and I can write about whatever I want. 

I spent most of Christmas Eve eve morning messing with my new external CD/DVD burner. After using up about 87 blank CDs with trial and error attempted recording of karaoke songs, I'm very happy to report that this morning I finally was able to copy both the music files and the lyrics files successfully to a CD.  Oh happy day.  After lounging around the house and watching yesterday's exciting episode of "All My Children", Mom asked me to run up to White Castle for our family's traditional Christmas Eve eve lunch.  Not a problem, I told her.  I was going to change clothes and put on some jeans, but as I looked down at my red, black and white plaid flannel sleep pants I said "What the hell" and put on my tennis shoes and drove up there.  I was committing one of my personal cardinal sins: going out to the store in flannel sleep pants.  But I did it: I drove to the White Castle in the BMW while wearing plaid flannel sleep pants.  That sentence just screams oxymoron, does it not?

Usually, I can't go to the store - whether it's the grocery store, department store, drugstore, even the hardware store - without seeing at least one young woman there in those flannel sleep pants.  And most of the time, they have on some type of house slippers with their sleep pants, too.  I usually cringed whenever I saw flannel sleep pants being worn out in public, just like people in the White Castle did today when they saw me with my flannel sleep pants on. I guess I'm a hyporcrite because I wore them out in public today, but I just don't think that pajama bottoms should be worn out in public.  If your house is on fire and you have to run to safety in the middle of the night, wearing pajamas out in public would be perfectly fine.  Honestly, I originally planned on going through the drive-thru at White Castle, but it was packed so I decided to go in.  Oh well.  Nobody yelled at me or called me names, so it was ok. I did put on jeans later on this afternoon when I went out shopping.  And I can honestly say that I will never wear my pajama bottoms (nor the pajama tops) out in public again.

 

No comments: