Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I Thought We Had It Rough

It's been a bad week for cars in my little department at work.  My co-worker had not one but both of his family's vehicles in the shop at the same time.  And I'm sorry to report that the BMW has been in the shop yet again, faithful readers.  I noticed a leak on the carport floor a week ago that was the size of the spill from the Exxon Valdez.  I'd gotten an oil change the week before, and thought there was a chance that they didn't put the plug back in. In keeping with my luck, that wasn't the case.  So yesterday morning, I peeled more C-notes and bought the BMW a new master cylinder for Christmas.   Ho Ho Ho.  But I had my Blazer to drive, and my co-worker was able to get a ride to and from work, so it wasn't all that gloom and doom.  There is a bright side: at least we work in Louisville, KY and not in New York City with the mass transit strike going on.

I don't mind walking, and on a nice day, I would walk two miles after work down on the floodwall.  But if I had to walk to work because I didn't own a car and because there was no other transportation to get me there, I'm afraid I would have to just call in sick.  I've gotten kind of used to my 15 minute drive to work.  If I took our city bus to work, it would take about an hour to travel the same 8 miles.  If I were like those poor people in New York City and had to walk, it would take me about 3 hours.  Each way.  Not an option for me. 

It's only the end of day two of the mass transit strike in New York City, and they're already talking about how many millions of dollars it is costing the city.  I'm really surprised that the media hasn't already blamed Al Qaida for the strike.

No comments: