Tuesday, December 6, 2005

Root Canal, Part 2

I thought I'd better write to you, my faithful readers, before my prescription narcotics start taking affect.  Today was Part 2 of the root canal.  I was laid back in the big chair getting drilled on from 1:30 till 3:45.  It wasn't fun.  I was numbed up very well, so I didn't feel any pain, but the pulling and pushing and tugging was enough to wear me out. 

The doctor was able to find a second canal, and did a successful root canal on it.  But he drilled and drilled and wasn't able to find the third canal because it was so calcified.  Just my luck.  He plugged up the two canals with rubber, gave me a temporary filling and told me to get with my dentist to get a permanent filling.  I have to go back in 6 months to see if this whole drama was a success or not.  On the plus side, the endodontist said that since the third canal was so calcified, he doubted that the infection was coming from it, and that hopefully cleaning out the other two canals will take care of it.  If not, then this summer when I go back to the endodontist, they'll pull the tooth and put in a bridge.  But until then, I will remain hopeful that last Friday's and today's excavating will do the trick. 

Thank you again for your emails and phone calls.  You are the best blogger's faithful readers ever. 

No comments: