Friday, May 31, 2024

Flashback Friday

 I was chatting with Diva Stacy yesterday, and she said that her twenty-something daughter asked her how to play Bunco.  She told her daughter that she couldn't remember, even though she was in Bunco club for over 20 years back in the day.  I told her all I could remember was there were two or three tables with four players at each table, and that you rolled dice. 

Talking about Bunco brought back some good memories.  Our neighbor Alice aka Muggs was in a Bunco club and the players would take turns hosting the game at their house.  Whenever Alice hosted the Bunco night and she needed a sub to fill in for someone, she would ask me to come play.  As a kid, I thought I was full-grown woman.  Alice went all out as a hostess.  She would put a bowl of Planters peanuts and a bowl of Brach's chocolate stars on each of the card tables.  Half-way through the game, they would stop for snacks.  During one of the times I got to sub, she served a snack that literally changed my life: taco flavored Doritos and this crazy new thing called Ranch dip.  She would serve coffee, iced tea and Coke in the little bottles. Then there were prizes.  First, second and third place winners would get tea towels, candles or sometimes cash.  Then the player with the lowest score would get the booby prize, which was always something equally as cool as a tea towel or candle.  I felt like I had just won an Olympic medal the one time I won a third place prize.  

No comments: