Friday, February 24, 2012

Flashback Friday

As part of Flashback Friday, TWIT would like to wish a very happy 60th birthday to Mr. Potato Head.

Way back on this day in 1952, Mr. Potato Head was patented and introduced.  Back then, when you bought Mr. Potato Head, you just got the plastic face and body accessories, and used a real potato, or other suitable vegetable, for the head.  Later on in the late 60's, Hasbro wanted to make even more money, so they changed things around, so when you bought the Mr. Potato Head kit, you also got a plastic potato to use, complete with pre-formed holes for the facial parts. Believe me when I tell you it just wasn't the same.

I loved my original Mr. Potato Head, and I would play with it for hours.  Giving up a potato from the potato bin was a small price for Grandma and Mom to pay for some peace and quiet around the house. And I remember how I would always stick the little plastic pipe in my Mr. Potato Head's mouth, because back then, my Dad and Grandpa both smoked a pipe.

I haven't checked online, but I would guess that there are virtual Mr. Potato Heads that kids can play with.  And I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a Mr. Potato Head iPhone or Android app out there, too. 

No comments: