Friday, December 17, 2004

Tin Roof, Rusted

More sad news to report this morning.  No, I'm not talking about the new video taped message from Osama Bin Ladin.  A fire has destroyed the five-room cabin in Athens, Georgia that was the inspiration for the awesome B-52's song "Love Shack."  The authorities said all that's left of the cabin is the infamous tin roof. 

"Love Shack" will always hold a special place in my heart; it was the first song that I ever danced to in a public place.  If my memory is correct, my dear friend Michael and I were the only people on the dance floor.  In fact, besides the bartender and d.j., I think we were the only people in the entire club.  We didn't care.  "Love Shack" was our favorite song and we just wanted to dance.  It was August, but there was silver Christmas tinsel everywhere.  I think they had store manaquins in there, too.  Anyhoo.  We had went out before and Michael had tried to get me to dance but I never would.  But that night, it was different.  Mainly because nobody was there to watch. 

There was just something about "Love Shack" that made you want to dance, if you had rhythm or not.  There's still something almost magical about that song.  If I'm bummed out about something, I can play it and within seconds I'm smiling and bobbing my head to the beat and singing along.  It's a very good road-trip song, too.  Rolling Stone magazine placed it at number 243 on its list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.  Personally, I would put it in the top twenty. 

No comments: