Friday, December 10, 2004

Farewell, Jerry Scoggins

On such a happy day as Tammy Fest II, I'm saddened to report that Jerry Scoggins has died at the impressive age of 93.  He had a long, full life.  Jerry left quite a legacy: he was the man that sang "The Ballad of Jed Clampett", the song that opened and close the awesome show "The Beverly Hillbillies."  Jerry sang the song, written by the show's producer Paul Henning, and bluegrass legends Flatt and Scruggs played the music.  The song went to #1 in 1962 shortly after the tv show debuted.  Scoggins came out of retirement in 1993 to sing the theme again for the movie based on the tv series.

You'll be missed, Jerry Scoggins, but rest in peace, you won't be forgotten.  Y'all come back now, ya here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Sherman Oaks a few doors away from the Scoggins' home on Colbath Avenue.  My sister Diana was the same age as Jerry's daughter Janie.  I was saddened to hear of his passing.  Their former home oddly enough was razed this year and a brand new two story home was erected in it's place.  The new owners just moved in over the weekend.  A new chapter.  At the age of 52, it just is another sad reminder that time marches on.  My deepest sympathy goes to Jerry's surviving family and if Janie gets this message, tell her the Marckwardts all say hello.

Brad

Anonymous said...

What a wild story, Prestigeboy.  Talk about timing, huh.  Thanks for sharing that with us. I'm making a note of this in my "degrees of separation" file.  I see this is your first post to TWIT - hope it won't be your last. Thanks for taking the time to read my journal.  You come back now, ya hear.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your response. I'll check back in the future.  See you again.
Brad