Wednesday, November 28, 2012

What Are The Odds?

The country is in a frenzy today over tonight's Powerball jackpot of over a half a billion dollars.  At the time of this posting, it was up to $550 million, and is expected to top out at over $600 million.  I've got my tickets and can't wait till 10:59 when they draw.  If I win, I think I'm going to hire Lady Gaga to come here in January and perform for my 50th birthday.  Based on the odds, I'll probably get struck by lightning first.

Here are things that are more likely to happen:


Death by Vending Machine. Odds: 1 in 112 million
Dying from using a right-handed product, if you’re a lefty: Odds: 1 in 7 million
Dying in an Asteroid Apocalypse. Odds: 1 in 12,500
Dating a Supermodel. Odds: 1 in 88,000
Hitting a Deer in Hawaii. Odds: one in 6,000.
Dying from a Bee Sting. Odds: one in 6 million.
Dying from a LIGHTNING STRIKE. Odds: one in 3 million.
Getting Attacked by a Shark. Odds: one in 11.5 million.
Dying for ANY reason at the beach. Odds: one in 2 million.
Making a Hole-in-One. Odds: about one in 13,000 (for the average golfer).
Getting two BACK-TO-BACK holes-in-one. Odds: about one in 156 million.
Becoming President of the U.S. Odds: one in 10 million
Dying in an On-The-Job Accident. Odds: one in 48,000
Dying in a Bathtub. Odds: one in 840,000



No comments: