Friday, November 23, 2012

Flashback Friday

I did some research and discovered that that term "Black Friday" was started back in the late 60's/early 70's.  I always thought of myself as a hip, intelligent kid, but I have to admit I don't really remember hearing the term "Black Friday" until the last 20 or so years.

Back in the day, I remember Mom and I getting up at 6:00 or 6:30 to go to Walmart to buy a particular brand of jeans that they had on sale for Dad for Christmas.  We did this for a few years.  We'd get the jeans and pick up a few other things that were on sale that we just had to have, and then go to McDonald's or Jessie's Family Restauarnt for breakfast, and then we'd go back home.  That was the extent of our Black Friday shopping.

As the years went by, Mom and I decided tha we enjoyed our sleep too much to fight the crowds for a $25 VCR so we stopped getting up before daylight to go fight the crowds at the store. And we don't regret it one bit.  Especially now, with Black Friday morphing into Black Thursday.

I can't help but wonder if years from now, some blogger will be writing about a flashback from their life, and they will be writing about their shopping memories of Black Thursday.

No comments: