Monday, August 25, 2008

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

After I put in my 10 miles tonight (this time, on the exercise bike because it was still raining) Dad and I drove over to an old friend's to deliver some green beans.  His friend Noble worked with Dad and Mom at Brown and Williamson back in the day, and since he moved back from Macon, Georgia a few years ago, they've kept in touch with him.  While we were chatting with him tonight, he and Dad started reminiscing about people they all worked with.  Most of the names weren't familiar to me, but when Noble mentioned "Bertie" my ears perked up.  Dad said he didn't remember her, and Noble reminded him that she worked with Mom for years.  He was trying to get Dad to remember her and described her big red beehive hairdo. I spoke up and said that I remembered Bertie, because she drove a big long Delta 88.  I distinctly remember the car because she picked me up from school a few times when she and Mom carpooled from work.  Noble went on to say that Bertie moved back to the south end of the 'Ville and now lives out in Fairdale.  He also said that Bertie is a millionaire.

I have to say that other then the people that own the company I work for, Bertie is the only other millionaire that I know.  Of course, there could be more, and the millionaires just don't want me to know.  As soon as we got home, we told Mom about her friend being a millionaire and she wasn't very surprised.  I thought Bertie might have opened her own business or had some awesome investments, but I was wrong.  All Mom said was "Her husband left it all to her."  Nuff said.  Way to go for marrying up, Bertie. 

No comments: