Thursday, August 7, 2008

Welcome To My Mid-Life Crisis

For the past few years I've been wondering and worrying about what my mid-life crisis would be.  Would I go out and buy a sports car like a lot of middle-aged men? Or would I get plastic surgery like a lot of middle-aged women?  Well, I'm not rich so those two things are out of the picture.  And I don't need any more bad habits, so I'm not going to start smoking or doing cocaine. So, I did the only thing I could do for my mid-life crisis: I became a cyclist. And not just any cyclist; for my mid-life crisis, I'm going to enter my first official charity bike ride.

On Saturday August 23, I will be joining hundreds of other bicyclists in the American Diabetes Tour de Cure.  The ride is either 15, 35 or 62 miles.  I've been riding 8 or 9 miles every night, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to make it through the 15 mile ride.  The ride starts at one of our parks and we'll venture out through the east end of town. 

I'll be riding in honor of my Mother, who was diagnosed with diabetes almost five years ago.  She's doing great - she's able to keep her diabetes under control with diet (she lost 47 pounds after being diagnosed) and exercise (she walks 2 or 3 miles a day faithfully) and with medication (she takes a half of a pill once a day).  So I will be riding for her and other family members, friends, and co-workers who have diabetes.

As soon as this ride is over, I hope I can find out about another charity ride to enter.  I'm thinking this is going to be the start of something big in my mid-life.  And it's a lot cheaper than a new Corvette or a face lift. 

No comments: