Friday, August 15, 2008

Flashback Friday

                              

A lot has changed at the Kentucky State Fair in the 40+ years that I've been attending. The most noticeable change has been the increase in prices - not only the admission and parking but all of the food and the rides.  As if paying four bucks a gallon for gas to get to the fair isn't bad enough, you hemorrhage money from the time you pay to get in the place until you've had your last overpriced corn dog. But I digress.  One thing at our state fair hasn't changed - well, I should say hasn't changed too much - Freddy Farm Bureau.

For over fifty years, gigantic Freddy Farm Bureau has greeted visitors to the state fair.  He always sits on a gigantic bale of hay in front of Freedom Hall, and if you get close to him, he'll talk to you.  He usually will say something like "Hi blonde girl with the khaki shorts and blue t-shirt. Are you having fun at the fair?" You get the picture.  As a kid, I was a little bit afraid of Freddy - not for his size, but because I felt like he knew me. Yeah, I know that's a bit odd, but I'm being honest. 

Freddy celebrated his 50th anniversary (or should I say birthday?) at the fair last year, and I remember when we went, Freddy was wearing a big birthday hat.  A couple of years ago, Freddy got an extreme makeover and now we have the new version. He's almost identical to the old Freddy, but to the trained eye like I have, you can see a noticeable difference.  His clothes are lighter blue then they used to be, and his head isn't quite as big.  But he's still big.  And will still talk to you if you're brave enough to get close.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was scared to death of him as a kid.  He reminded me of one of those ventriloquist dummies.