Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Keep The Cake - Just Give Me My Ribbons

I can't believe that weeks have gone by and I totally forgot to tell you, faithful readers, about a Major Event in my life. 

For the past year or so, Dad has been baking an awesome orange cake made with tequila and triple sec, appropriately named Margarita cake.  He's made it for friends' and neighbors' birthdays and other occasions, and each time he's gotten rave reviews.  A few months ago, I told him that he needed to bake one and enter it into the Kentucky State Fair, because I thought that the cake had a great chance of winning a ribbon.  To my surprise, he said no, but instead he would coach me (one who does not cook/bake) while I made the cake.  I made a couple of practice cakes, and this past Saturday morning while my support crew looked on, I made the prettiest Margarita cake you will ever see. 

In addition to asking Dad to make his Margarita cake, I asked Mom to make her awesome and world famous bourbon balls.  Well, not really world famous, but she has made them and sent them to friends and relatives all over the country.  She said she'd love to make a batch for us to enter into the fair.  So last Friday, she got out her chocolate, bourbon and other ingredients and made what we believe to be her best batch of bourbon balls ever.

This past Sunday after we got home from church, we carefully hauled the cake and bourbon balls out to the fairgrounds and handed them over to the judges.  The judging should be over by now, as the first day of the fair is tomorrow and all of the winning items entered will be displayed with their ribbons.  I'll be running out to the fairgrounds as soon as work is over tomorrow so I can see if I am one of the lucky ones that has a ribbon hanging on their cake or candy.  And I've already got some ideas about a couple other things I want to bake and enter in the fair next year.  Wish me luck.  I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing you the very best, please keep us posted!  I am not a cook either, LOL.

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK and how about sending me some of that cake, sounds delicious