Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Give Me Your Email Address

Today's TWIT entry is brought to us by a faithful reader who emailed me about this concern.  I immediately told them to write something for TWIT, and reassured them that others will feel the same way. 

Give Me Your E-Mail Address
It starts out innocent enough; a friend wants to send you a photo or some other piece of information, so you jot down  your email address.  No harm in that, right?

But then it happens. 

Why is it that just because you give someone your email address they automatically assume you share the same (usually extreme) political views as them?  And it's not just one party, I get them from Democrats and I get them from Republicans.  A cartoon that depicts the president as a stupid monkey scratching his rear, or a warning about Obama's ties to terrorism.  And they just don't stop!  I get at least one politically charged email a day from our former I.T. Director who I hardly even know!  I finally just quit opening them.

I learned a long time ago that if you want to keep your friends, you'll refrain from talking about religion or politics whenever possible.  And if you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't send it in an email.

Bottom line, I'd love to see a snapshot of your kids, or just get a note from you telling me about your summer vacation.  But if you want to send me stupid political propaganda please delete me from your contacts list!

I'm a faithful reader and that's what I'm thinking!

No comments: