Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day

It's been an awesome Memorial Day for me.  First of all, I got to sleep in this morning instead of having to get up early to go to work.  That was very sweet.  Then I got the chance to walk down on the floodwall and [after a nice nap] ride my bike this evening.  I'm a little tired tonight but it's all good.  While riding my bike this afternoon, I passed by a cemetary where people were placing flags on the graves of veterans.  After I turned around and headed back home, I rode back to the cemetary and just stood there for a few silent moments as I watched the volunteers placing the flags by the gravestones.  For years I've seen this same scene on the evening news on Memorial Day, but I'd never witnessed it first hand.  It was a very solemn, moving experience.  I was misty eyed as I watched the volunteers place a flag in the ground and then take a step back and raise their hand in a salute. 

I don't mean to sound sappy, but I think that we should celebrate Memorial Day and Veterans Day every day of the year and not just on one day.  Every morning that we get up and get ready for the day ahead we should thank the Lord and the veterans that fought and died for our freedom. 

No comments: