Friday, May 9, 2008

Flashback Friday

It's Vacation Eve Eve here at The Compound, and my mind drifts back to when I was a kid waiting for our vacation to start - when all I had to worry about was if I had packed enough candy for our trip.  Now, it's a bit different.  As the person in charge of this trip, my mind is racing, making sure I've got all the necessary reservations covered, and more importantly, if I have enough cash with me.  If only vacations were as simple as they were when I was a kid.

The only things I had to worry about were packing enough stuff to keep me from getting bored on our trips.  I would pack a tape recorder of some form, an ample supply of batteries and as many cassette tapes as I could pack in my bag to keep me entertained on our vacation.  Let me interject that when I was a kid, we made 3 cross-country trips, so that's quite a bit of entertainment to pack.  In addition to the many cassette tapes, I would pack plenty of magazines to keep me occupied.  On our trip to Canada when I was 12, I had the courage to pack a paperback copy of "Gone With The Wind" to read while vacationing.  Needless to say, I finished the book during our 1977 10-day adventure in Nester Falls, Ontario. 

As we get ready to embark on my trip with the 'Rents, I think back on what must have been going through Mom and Dad's minds back in the day.  All I had to worry about was keeping myself entertained ; they had to worry about things like what we would wear, where we would sleep, what we would eat, and where we would go.  But they were the parents - that was what they were supposed to do.  Now, it's as if the tables are turned; I'm the one that's made the reservations and have done the planning, and all they need to do is make sure they have something to keep them entertained.  It's just awesome how life comes full circle.

No comments: