Saturday, May 31, 2008

Flashback Saturday

I watched something on TV tonight that I thought I would never ever willingly watch - a MMA (mixed martial arts) fight night on CBS.  I have to say that it was like the proverbial wreck on the highway - I had to keep watching and couldn't look away. 

Let me preface by saying I hear about the MMA stuff every day at work, so I'm quasi-farmiliar with it. And I had no intentions of watching the fights tonight on TV, but I ended up being engrossed.  I have to say that while watching it, I truly believe I was chanelling my Grandma and Grandpa.  For, you see, every Saturday night when I was a kid, I would watch wrestling and roller derby with Grandma and Grandpa.  And I truly felt their presence tonight while watching Gina Carano and Scott Smith battle against their opponents tonight.  It was definitely a flashback moment to the early 70's with my grandparents. 

It was a Saturday night tradition - we would watch "Hee Haw", and then change the channel to wrestling.  And then at 10:00 we would watch "The Carol Burnett Show", and at 11:00, we would watch the roller derby.  They would let me stay up late on Saturday night, even though I had to be up early for Sunday School.  It was an awesome Saturday night.  We'd watch all of these shows, and have a snack of popcorn and orange soda, with one of my favorite candy bars thrown in. 

Tonight, I truly felt like I was back in the early 70's with my grandparents.  I think if they were alive they would have watched the MMA fights with me tonight.  And I'm sure we would have had our popcorn and orange soda, too.  And they would have been yelling at the TV just as loud as I was earlier while watching the fights. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And now this new guy who looks a little like Mr. T is all the rage.