Saturday, May 24, 2008

Got Milk?

As I was thinking about the record high gas prices yesterday, something dawned on me - with the price of a gallon of milk almost equal to the price of a gallon of gas, how come we don't hear people complaining about the price of milk like we hear everybody (myself included) bitch about the price of gas?  I guess it's because we really don't need milk every day, like we do gas.  Sure, women my age need milk to help us from getting osteo, and kids and babies need milk to help develop strong bones and teeth.  But we could get our calcium from supplements or from ice cream or cheese if we had to. 

Mom was talking earlier today to one of her neices/one of my cousins, who works in the office of one of the Large Chain Grocery Stores here in the 'Ville.  My cousin told her that we could expect the price of milk to hit $5 a gallon before we see $5 a gallon at the gas pump.  Faithful readers, that won't be too far in the future I'm afraid.  She said that the store's dairy suppliers are predicting milk to be $6 a gallon by the time summer is over.  She also said to expect to see the price of all dairy products to sky rocket.  Mom has a couple of boxes of powdered milk stored away down in the basement;  I guess she should get a few more to put back just in case.  Maybe I should stock up on my new favorite cottage cheese, too.  With the rising dairy prices, I'm kinda glad that I'm eating healthier and not forking over big bucks every week for my beloved Mint Moose Tracks ice cream. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is depressing!  I'm trying to stop drinking soda and milk has been my alternative.  Sheesh!