Friday, September 28, 2007

The Trip From Hell

I'm deviating today, and instead of the usual Flashback Friday, I feel the need to tell you about our fun, fun trip.  Today I was on the trip from hell.  If I'd had my cell phone voice recorder on, I could have recorded the 'Rents saying the same exact thing.  This morning, we embarked on the adventure to end all adventures.  My cousin wanted to see the Country Living arts and craft fair, and she decided to combine that with a visit with her Kentucky relatives.  So the 'Rents and I agreed that we could handle just about anything for family's sake.  When my cousin said the words "country" and "fair" we were under the impression that it would be a fair like we were used to attending - with corn dogs and elephant ears.  Boy were we wrong. It was held at the workshops of a master furniture craftsman, and for those familiar with our St. James Art Fair, it was about the same except out in the country.  This was the second year for the event, and they were expecting hundreds to show up - not thousands.  Here's a brief account of our day in terms of numbers:

Adults travelling in an Odyessy mini-van: 7

Duration of entire trip: 11.5 hours

Total hours spent in the Odyessy:  8.5

Hours travelled one-way to Morrow, OH: 2.5

Hours spent waiting in traffic to get to the craft fair: 2.5

Minutes spent waiting in line at the Port-A-Potty: 30

Minutes spent waiting in line at the food stand: 20

Price of admission per person $12

Price to park in a field 3/4 mile from event: $5

Wrong turns taken during entire trip: 1

Ounces of Jack Daniels whisky consumed when I got home: ?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a trooper... I am part of the David T Smith family and personally want to thank you all for coming down on what was an literal explosion of people who showed up for the fair on Friday.  There were so many more people than expected- I am guessing you had to park at one of our neighbors who thankfully opened their fields and yards for incoming cars.  We had a huge delivery of more port-o-lets show up last night, and the vendors were all out in mass last night buying and preparing more food.  I hope you were able to find some great things to take back home with you- there are so many really great craftspeople here.  I am writing to you because I know the employees and other family members will be running like mad for a few more days, but just wanted to let you know that we are so glad you came out despite the huge mass of people you encountered.  Today and tomorrow should be smoother!  Fondly, Kristin Smith