Thursday, September 13, 2007

No Spaghetti On My Grocery List

I know it's the afternoon as I post this, but there's still time for us to join our Italian brothers and sisters out of solidarity and boycott pasta today.  Not the eating of pasta - just the buying of pasta.  Consumer groups in Italy are calling for a one-day pasta strike today to protest a big price increase.  Italian government officials say the one-day boycott of the country's national food will be useless, because the price is linked to a world-wide increase in the cost of grain. 

I have a friend in Chicago that is full-blooded Italian, and my cousin's husband is Italian, too, so I'm going to call them both tonight and see if they received any forwarded emails about today's pasta boycott.  You know what I'm talking about - I want to know if their inbox was full of emails telling them to not buy pasta today, just like we get the emails urging us to boycott certain gas and oil companies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe the Italian people are embracing this boycott.  One person I saw interviewed said they would rather give up sex than pasta, lmao!