Friday, August 2, 2024

Flashback Friday

 When I was a kid, during the summer school break, every Friday morning I would go with our neighbor Muggs aka Alice to her weekly beauty parlor appointment.  I was just up the road in a small shopping center. While she would get her hair done (old school beauty parlor lingo) I would walk down to Taylor Drugstore or the cool TG&Y store where I would check out the toy aisles and best of all, the record section.  If I wasn't in the mood to window shop, I would sit in the waiting area and read a comic book. But I digress.  The best part of the weekly Friday morning trip would be going to get lunch afterward. We would either go to McDonalds or to my favorite burger place The Red Barn. 

The Red Barn was (you guessed it) built like an old school red barn.  What made this my favorite burger place was the burger toppings bar they had.  Granted, it could no way compare to the toppings bar at WW Cousin's or Max and Erma's but for the late 60s/early 70s it was pretty cutting edge. They only had a few toppings - dill pickle slices, tomato slices, onion, mustard, mayo and ketchup.  But I liked how I could fix my own burger.

Needless to say, the Red Barn has been long gone, but that beauty parlor is still there and in business.

No comments: