Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Rest In Peace, Miss Schmitz

I found out late last night that my favorite teacher from high school died yesterday afternoon.  The one thing I will always remember about Miss Schmitz was her big, genuine smile.  

Miss Schmitz was my typing teacher. I struggled a bit at first in my first typing class of hers, but after encouragement from her, once I got the hang of it there was no stopping me on the trusty IBM Selectric. She was also the advisor for the FBLA club (Future Business Leaders of America). She kept nagging me to join, and just to make her happy, I did, and was appointed as the club historian. On Senior Takeover Day, she chose me to takeover for her in her classes. Not only did I have to conduct those timed drills, she made me wear a big button all day long that said "I Love FBLA." At our graduation, she was on the stage to give me a four-year business award. After handing me the certificate, she hugged me and with that big smile of hers, said "keep on making me proud of you." In my work career and in college, those words stuck with me. And they still do.

No comments: