Friday, November 28, 2008

Flashback Friday

As I type this, I just finished eating supper, and it's hard to comprehend that millions of people started shopping over twelve hours ago. It's Black Friday - the first official day of the holiday shopping season. I had no intention of going shopping today, and thanks to a wicked sinus infection, I've done no shopping since I came home from work Wednesday night; in fact I haven't even left the house. But I digress. When I was a kid, the term "Black Friday" hadn't been thought of yet. To my family, it was Turkey Sandwich and Fritos Friday.

Turkey sandwiches the day after Thanksgiving was as much a tradition here at The Compound as the actual Thanksgiving Day meal. Mom and Grandma would slice the turkey and would start toasting the bread for our turkey sandwiches. I can still picture Grandma standing in the kitchen spreading a generous amount of Miracle Whip on the toast before she placed the turkey on it, and then she'd finish it off by giving it a few shakes of salt and pepper. Mom would usually warm up some dressing or dumplings and have those, but the rest of us would have our turkey sandwiches on toast. As a special treat, we would have Fritos with our sandwiches, along with any leftover green olives. If Mom had remembered, we would also have a carton of french onion dip to accompany the Fritos, but I was happy to eat them sans dip.

Sliced on toast is still my favorite way to eat turkey. Even though we don't have it often, I still prefer my turkey in sandwich form instead of as an entree with a big meal. Some habits are hard to break.

No comments: