Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Records Are Made To Be Broken

At first, I thought it would really bother me writing this journal entry, but as I type it in, I'm perfectly fine. This week, a 46 year old record is going to be broken. This will be the first year in my entire life that I did not go to the Kentucky State Fair.

My parents tell the story of how I was just seven months old when Mom and Grandma took me to my first Kentucky State Fair. Granted, I don't remember much from that trip, and I'm pretty sure they didn't buy me a corn dog, but I will take them at their word that I attended. And from that first year on, I went to the fair every year; a lot of times, I went two, or three times. As a kid, Mom and Dad would take me on the first Saturday of the fair and we'd spend all day going around the fair and in the evening we would always go to the rodeo. Later on in the week I would usually go again with the next door neighbors. As I got older, I started going to the fair concerts in addition to our usual family Saturday trip. And about fifteen years ago, for 4 years in a row I went to the fair every day. Sure, I would take a week's vacation while the fair was going on andI had a very good paying job at the fair, but I was still there. But this year, I just don't have any desire to go.

Like I said earlier, I'm big on tradition, and I thought it would bother me not going. But it doesn't. For one, I'm very busy with a ton of school work right now, and two, I'm coming down with another summer cold and just don't feel like I could deal with the fair right now. Who knows. I could possibly get a wild hair later on in the week and go out there but I seriously doubt it.

1 comment:

Mystical said...

Oh no...you can't break tradition! I will hook you up with a free ticket on me just to keep this from happening...I'll even throw in an extra one if there is someone you'd like to take. I'm a fair junkie too...been that way since I was kid. I never had a regular day with my folks but I always went with my buddies and now, since the early 90's I've been entering the culinary department competitions. I'd be real disappointed if the fair ever went away. Let me know soon if you want to go and I'll give Toots a couple of exhibitor tickets (includes parking) for you.