Saturday, August 28, 2010

Just Spell It

There is no reason in the world that this should bother me, but unfortunately, it does: I get irritated when I read something written by a grown woman and it sounds more like a text from a pre-adolescent young girl. For instance, when women use "U" instead of "You" or "UR" instead of "Your", and probably the one that irritates me the most, "Bestie" instead of "best friend." To me, that sounds like you're talking about a breed of dog instead of your best friend.

Now, I'm the first to admit I use abbreviations when I text and email, but they are abbreviations used by me and the person I'm texting; not shortcuts for words. But I will not use "U" or "UR." Could you imagine if everyone wrote that way? Imagine a letter from Insight Communications - "Dear Ms. Puddin: UR cable bill is overdue. If U don't pay us 2day, we will cut off UR service." Now you get my point.