Tuesday, August 3, 2010

. . . And That One Time At Summer Camp

I read an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today. It was about a new trend in summer camps for kids. The camps aren't anything like church camps or band camps - these camps teach CSI, culinary and survival skills. Summer camps are now catering to reality show watchers. Forensic science camps teach kids how to investigate a crime scene. Camps molded after the popular "Mythbusters" show teach kids how to use science to prove myths and facts. There's survivor camps, where kids learn to make fires, build huts and homemade rafts. Unlike the TV show, the campers are not voted off the island. There's even cooking camps for kids who want to be the next Emeril Lagasse or Paula Deen.

All of these camps would have kept me entertained during the summer, but there was another camp mentioned in the article htat I would have begged my parents to let me attend: The Money Academy Camp. It's loosely bassed on Donald Trump's "The Apprentice." A one week session costs $300, and the camp session begins with the campers each getting a $100 loan from the camp director. The campers use the money to create a product and actually sell it. If sales are brisk, they are able to pay back the loan and can keep the profit. Each day, a different camper is chosen to be CEO. They oversee production, marketing and sales. Like business people we read about today, I would have used some of my profits to bribe the other campers into letting me be CEO every day.

1 comment:

Toots said...

Where do I sign up????