Saturday, May 20, 2006

My Thoughts On "The Da Vinci Code"

Well, it's the day after "The Da Vinci Code" opened in the movie theaters, and the world hasn't come to an end yet.  I'm sure the protesters are still protesting, and I'm sure the Vatican's lawyers are still trying to keep the  movie from being shown.  I just don't get it.  Does everyone not understand the simple fact that it is just a book? "The Da Vinci Code" is just a book - just like "Gone With The Wind" or a romance novel by Jackie Collins is just a book.  I just don't get it.

The protesters are doing way more harm than they are good.  I'm sure millions of people will go see the movie just to see what all the fuss is about; never mind they didn't intend on seeing it before all of the hype.   But now they'll go see the movie to see for themselves, and the movie will gross millions of more dollars because of that.  Not to mention how many millions of copies of the book will be sold now, just so regular movie goers can see for themselves if the movie was as good as the book. 

I'm a Christian, and I read "The Da Vinci Code" a few weeks after the book was released about 2 years ago.  I enjoyed the book.  Actually, I enjoyed reading the readers' guide that I printed out from the Dan Brown's website more than I enjoyed the book itself - it was like a mini-encyclopedia. It's about 200 pages, and very interesting reading, and I would be glad to let anyone borrow it if you'd like to read it. I would also let you borrow my "The Da Vinci Code" book, too.   But back to the topic at hand.  I read the book with the mindset of it was just a book.  I don't believe that Jesus married Mary Magdelene and had a child, like the book says -  no more than I believe that a young blonde girl named Alice met a white rabbit who was always late.  Even though the book contained tons of historical facts about art work, places, events and people, the story came from the author's imagination. I wonder if people protested Lewis Carrol's "Through The Looking Glass" like they are "The Da Vinci Code"?  Did the people that read that really think there was a white rabbit who was late?  Did they really believe there was a hukkah smoking caterpillar? Not hardly.  They read the story of Alice In Wonderland knowing it was just a story. This is justa movie, faithful readers - just like Tom Hanks' previous movie "Polar Express" was just a movie.

No comments: